Friday, August 17, 2018

The Poet Tree



THE POET TREE

I planted you in Shakespeare
Watered you with Rimbaud
I wrapped you up in Shelley  
And I let the Wordsworth grow

I raked your leaves of Whitman
When they fell like golden Poe
I watched you bend with winter Frost
As the cummings came on slow

In brightest Blake and darkest Burns
I knew your Hardy limbs would soar    
I propped you up with Coleridge
And Carroll and Keats and Moore

It was in the early Sandburg
When the Ginsberg wind did howl
That I held you down with Eliot
And anchored you with Pound  

I wasn’t sure the Plath you’d take  
Or if your Kipling could hold on
I knew your leaves were Browning
And your Dickinson was gone

And so when Auden led to Nash  
And Robinson to Lowell  
It was Brautigan that brought you back
When Hughes and Schwartz got slow

I planted you in Shakespeare
And watered you with Rimbaud
A little a touch of Byron
And you’ve become a Longfellow


-welker- 
1975

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poetry - Bing News

Poetry - Google News

Poetry Slam

Poets in the News

thefussylibrarian - For Readers

NPR Topics: Authors

Americana Daily

The Lunchtime Listen

Heavy Connector

Collectible Vinyl Records for Sale

This Week's Find